Saturday, September 8, 2012

Onomatopoeia Project

        For the past week I've been teaching my students all about Onomatopoeia words. I picked up several library books that feature Onomatopoeia words and read them out loud to my class. The children loved listening to the stories. I wanted to show them how easy it is to incorporate Onomatopoeia words in their writing. Onomatopoeia words can make a story more enterataining and bring any story to life.
Here is a list of books I recommend using when introducing Onomatopoeia Words. Hopefully these stories will inspire your children to make some noise in their own writing.

Tiny Little Fly.  Michael Rosen.  Candlewick, 2010.
All the Water in the World.  George Ella Lyon and Katherine Tillotson.  Atheneum, 2011.
Bob.  Tracey Campbell Pearson.  Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2002.
Can You Growl Like a Bear? John Butler.  Peachtree, 2007.
Click, Clack, Moo : Cows that Type.  Doreen Cronin.  Simon & Schuster, 2000.
Dear Fish.  Chris Gall.  Little Brown, 2006.
Double Trouble in Walla Walla.  Andrew Clements.  Millbrook Press, 1997.
Five Green and Speckled Frogs. Priscilla Burris.  Scholastic, 2003
I Stink! Kate McMullan.  HarperCollins, 2002.
I’m Bad!  Kate McMullan.   HarperCollins, 2008.
I’m Dirty. Kate McMullan.  HarperColins, 2006.
In the Tall, Tall Grass. Denise Fleming.  Holt, 1991.
Ker-splash!  George O’Conner.  Simon & Schuster, 2005.
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything. Linda Williams.  HarperCollins, 1986.

        From all the books above, I only read two stories to my class and displayed the rest of them on the back table. I welcomed my students to read them during the week whenever they were done with their work and had free time. After introducing Onomatopoeia words, I assigned the Onomatopoeia Project to my students. I gave the children a list of Onomatopoeia Words and had them pick their favorite one. Then, I told them that I wanted them to animate their words on a construciton paper. I told them to be creative and make their word come to life. I told them they can use tissue paper, cotton, glitter, make their word 3-D, etc... The children took their projects home and here are the end results. :)











4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I will have to search out some of the books. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Heather. I'm always happy to share. I plan on posting more projects in the new future. :)

      Delete
  2. I love teaching onomatopoeia. The books If You Were Onomatopoeia and The Listening Walk are also great to use. I love this project!!!!

    I am happy to be your newest follower. If you get the chance, I would love for you to hop over and visit me. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely hop on over! Thanks for the invite. I will also look into those books. I just may add them to my list. :)

      Delete